Saturday, November 10

An open book

A few days ago I met a man who knew all kinds of things about me. We had never talked before, but simply by interpreting my body language he was able to pinpoint my key character traits. I knew myself quite well, he said. If I tried my best I could really get somewhere. Then he pointed to some boys and a young woman near by and told me what the differences were between myself and those people. "You are happier than most people here in this pub," he said, "why is that?"

The whole conversation was quite remarkable, and it would have been creepy if I wouldn't have felt like I'd known him for ages. This man wasn't some obscure oddball. In fact, he was a rather imposing big black man who'd been a high-up in some company, before quiting his job eight months ago to become a stay-at-home dad. "Reading" people had been very important in his former function, he explained. I was amazed all the same.

Perhaps we are less mysterious to the outside world than we tend to think; we communicate subconsciously by sending out all sorts of non-verbal signals. But few of us are able to pick up these signs in such an effective manner.

1 comment:

Suiadan said...

I only just posted something today which has something to do with the same thing.

I don't know how far my experiences rate when regarding body language, but I'd guess it's exactly the type of subconscious signs you talk about.

As for my opinion: I don't really want to be able to analyse all bodylanguage I encounter. I like the mystery and yet significance of it, simply because of the fact that I don't always pick up those things immediately. Yet I do possess, like most people, an inkling of knowledge. That seems enough to get us through our lives.